HR-10 worthwhile mods

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon at MOSCOW.COM
Sun Feb 12 01:07:46 EST 2006

> I never had any trouble with drift using my HG-10B and DX-60B, but I did have a
> problem with chirp on CW.  It was very slight, but I could never get the VFO to
> stop pulling slightly upon key down.  I did adjust the dropping resistor (per
> the manual) in the VFO regulator circuit with no effect on the slight chirp.
> Using a crystal for frequency control sounded just perfect. --Ed G--

I had chirp problems with my HG-10(*) VFO....UNTIL....I got a collection
of NIB 6CH8s. After swapping several, I found one that presented NO
CHIRP on any band, even 15 and 10 meters, although there still is
some residual drift.

I had 10 tubes to start with. Got them on Ebay for what I considered a
pittance. The 4th one was the one I stuck with, and it STILL sounds
good.

Try swapping tubes. You will find a VAST difference in the way they
key.

Ken Gordon W7EKB