Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

Don Melcher don at HFRADIO.COM
Mon Jan 2 13:45:08 EST 2006

Absolutely - well put - whatever floats your boat! By ALL means - don't
discourage people from picking up a soldering iron and experimenting -
that is the foundation of Ham radio.

While I don't advocated using big swaths of the spectrum, nothing beats
clean (AM or SSB) transmit audio. Too often I hear a QSO in progress
where one station is telling the other "You sound great here" when the
other station sounds like crap! Overdriving, hum, distortion, poor
frequency response - you name it.

As far as mics go - one of the best I have found for the $$$ is a
Marshall MXL990 - at $50. It will need a phantom voltage supply, but the
mic, supply and a stand will still cost less then the Heil Classic. I
have NEVER been happy with the way I sound when recorded - UNTIL I tried
one of these! I use mine on the end of one of Heil's booms.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/273156
/?c_tid=topselle

Don
W6CZ

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV] On Behalf Of BMW
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2006 8:21 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

Hi Ray, et al, and Happy New Year!

While I agree that broadcast quality audio is not *needed* on the ham
bands,
there is that certain thrill that comes from doing something just
because it
can be done. ("Why climb a mountain?") It is also refreshing to see
people
actually wanting to do some electronics tinkering today so I'd hate to
dissuade them! I think it's also possible that a lot of hams got their
start
in the broadcasting arena and just can't get it out of their blood. In
1965,
at 14, I built a tube-type AM transmitter and became "The Voice of
Scottsdale, radio station KBW", with all of 100mW, broadcasting from the
entertainment room all the way to the living room and playing my Dad's
records into the mike. Then I built a GR-64 and shortly learned that I
could
"broadcast" my voice all over the world with my very own high power
transmitter. A lifelong interest in ham radio and electronics ensued.
And by
the way, you don't need a Sennheiser or EV mike to get good quality -
Bob
Heil of Heil Sound makes some much lower priced mikes than those that
sound
every bit as good, if not better.

Which reminds me, I think we could attract more hams by seeking out kids
who
buy those "play disk jockey" toys or walkie-talkies. That shows a
budding
interest in talking over a radio. I once sent a suggestion to one of
those
companies that they put an insert about ham radio in their boxes. Doubt
if
anything ever came of it, but I still think it's a good idea.

73,

Brian, W0DZ
www.dzkit.com