Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX RMcGraw at BLOMAND.NET
Thu Jan 5 20:32:51 EST 2006

Lin & Company:

I couldn't agree more in terms of keeping it original.  You did take notice
that I did not actually remove any components or drill any holes. I only
added components to what was already there while leaving all others intact
and original.

As to the design for communications and channeling the voice energy into a
narrower passband, yes I agree,  if it was done correctly.  However, due to
the bias structure on the last stage of the 12AU7 and the choice of cathode
bypass filter for the triode connected 12BH7 the modulated THD is 10% or
greater.  This is simply poor engineering in anybody's book unless one is
intent on developing a guitar fuzz tone box.  {And that's already been done
by an engineer that I worked with in a Nashville recording studio.}  Yes,
channeling into a narrow bandwidth is good but it must be very low
distortion to be highly intelligible.  Sorry but Heath missed it on this one
point.

And if I want to run AM BC quality, I light the AM BC transmitter and all of
it expensive mikes and exotic processing.

73
Bob, K4TAX