Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

Schichler, Don don.schichler at PAETEC.COM
Tue Jan 10 10:27:13 EST 2006

If I was a collector of many pieces of vintage equipment as a lot of hams are, I would probably want to keep most of it in its original, unmodified condition.
In my case however, I just wanted to set up an AM station (in addition to my Kenwood TS-870S) that receives and transmits pleasing audio quality and is also a nostalgic reminder of my early ham radio days.
After buying a broken Apache and getting it working, I decided to modify it so that it doesn't sound "scratchy" anymore, and have since received good on-the-air reports.  It's still original on the outside (except for a paint job on the cabinet), and looks good next to my HQ-145 receiver, so I'm pretty happy with it.  I saved the old parts, just in case I would ever want to change it back to its original audio configuration.
I would also like to join one of the DX-40/60 nets sometime from WNY if TX-1's are allowed in.

73,
Don - W2DAS

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List
[mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]On Behalf Of mgriff
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 8:38 AM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: [HEATH-TEMPE] Enhanced Apache TX-1 Audio

Lin, Ray and other lister's,
      I am in agreement here. The thrill of "struggling" along with
unmodified vintage gear is like returning to a slice of an earlier,
unhurried, time. For the past few years I have been using vintage gear on HF
cw, and 6mtr AM about 90% of time. My Yaesu Mark V/ FTV 1000 6 mtr xcvr are
used the other 10%.
     Tried HF am few times with verious rig's, including HT 37/HQ 170
set-up, and was soon recieving "tip's" on how to modify the audio to sound
more pleasing. I seriously thought about it, then remembered I why I was
using this gear in the first place.
     Now I stick to cw most of the time, so as to not offend the pureist out
there, hi!
     The DX 40/60 net's sound like fun, and I will try to join in from here
in NNY, with CC/screen mod.    Tnx, Jeff k3kyr at arrl.net