SB-401 SSB problem

Schichler, Alfred ASchichler at MICROWAVEDATA.COM
Wed Jan 18 08:51:16 EST 2006

I have an SB-401 that has been working fine for several years, but all of a
sudden, I hardly get any power out on SSB, and when I monitored myself, it
sounds low and distorted, especially if I turn the mic gain way up. I
thought at first that it was the battery in my amplified D-104, but when
replacing it made no difference, I'm thinking it has to be something in the
transmitter.
The power is fine on CW and TUNE, so I'm thinking it has to be in the audio
section, but I'm not positive. I don't have a lot of tubes to substitute, so
I can't be sure if it's a tube, but I was thinking maybe the 6EA8 audio amp
tube. (It works the same on all the bands that I tried it on, and also on
both sidebands.)
Has anyone else had a similar problem? I would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,
Al, WA2AS

The information contained in this message is confidential and intended only
for use of the designated recipient(s) named above.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering
it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this message in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution,
copying, or alteration of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the originator
immediately and remove it from your system.