HW 101 tuning belts

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon at MOSCOW.COM
Mon Jan 23 21:30:36 EST 2006

> I want to thank all who gave me sources for the belts. I also got the
> heathkit mod to install a dial string but I found that so tedious that I
> abandoned that idea and went to the hardware store and bought the belts. Again,
> thanks a lot and 73'3 de KG4JRK.

I had considered that mod, but decided against it.

HOWEVER, I have been working on two HW-101s at work: one for a
friend and one for myself.

I replaced the tuning belts in both with brand new "O" rings from our
local auto parts store about 2 months ago.

Yesterday, when I started back to work on the rigs, I found BOTH sets
deteriorated and broken.

Apparently there is something in the air there that is attacking them.

I also do a lot of computer repair and servicing in my shop at the
University of Idaho. Over the past couple of years, I have had to
replace the drive belts that exist in many different brands of CD ROM
drives. These belts, although much thinner than those in the HW-
101/SB-101 series rigs, are also made of neoprene, and all were
deteriorated in the same way that my new HW-101 belts were.

I have contacted our evironmental safety office to see if we can
determine what the cause might be.

Our first thought was ozone, or UV deterioration, but the CD ROM
drives are completely enclosed in computers and CD drives in OTHER
buildings on campus don't suffer this sort of damage.

I am most curious...

Ken Gordon W7EKB