Heterodyne Crystal Failures Mode?

Bob and Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Tue Jul 25 12:28:41 EDT 2006

Good data, Jim, and good reasoning.  Excellent work.

To throw a bit of info your way, the crystals are certainly affected by
'crud' on the plates and they (typically) are 'sealed' in their cases.
Two of the mechanisms (of many) that affect the crystal blank are
accumulation of mass on the blank (i.e. stuff precipitates out of the
environment onto the blank) which should (theoretically) decrease the
resonant frequency and the loss of mass (e.g. the minute vibration of
the crystal in operation actually flakes off parts of the crystal) which
should theoretically increase the frequency. It would seem that neither
is the case here but it could be that crud was 'shunting' the crystal
blank and greatly decreased the parallel resonance value  - the
impedance goes, as you indicated, through (as the frequency goes from
low to high) a series (zero) then  the parallel resonance.

And, yes, they do extract most of the air and then 'seal' the crystal
can. The hole was there for that purpose. One source of the crud that
contaminates the crystal blank is the solder used to seal the can - that
is why the higher quality crystals have a hermetically sealed can which
is welded on. Plus they use either a vacuum and/or a rare gas to create
a clean environment for the crystal.

Anyways excellent work and nice data. It would be nice to have some more
explicit data, before and after, of the series and parallel resonant
points as well as the values of the impedance at each point. But, hey,
that would be gilding the lilly!

73 de WA2CKY
Bob