Public admonishment... I was wrong... thanks

Don Melcher don at HFRADIO.COM
Thu Jul 27 21:10:39 EDT 2006

Bob - you don't need to apologize - you weren't wrong either. I was just
pointing out that you DO need permission.

And you don't need permission to bring it on board - just to transmit. I
sure would have brought it - then asked. They have a radio officer and he
could have maybe greased the skids (I once worked the Ship Physician on the
QEII anchored off Wallis Is).

With a little more warning - something probably could have been done. I have
a couple of pieces I could have sent you but time was short and
transportation would have been $$$.

I took my FT-817, a paddle, earphones, a mic made from a mini HT speaker
mic, some ni-mh battery packs, a charger (multi-voltage with adapters), a
small manual tuner, and an antenna made from two of the wind up SWL antennas
that Radio Shack sells (or sold - anyway - they are really cutting back -
but that's another story). It all fit along with a log book and pen in a
small shoulder bag about 6" x 10" x 4". This was POST 9/11 - May of 02 - on
a trip to Italy. Finally got a good QTH to operate from in Sienna at a
pretty fancy Villa we were staying at on a hill outside of town. Room
service mentioned to the front desk the wire going our second floor widow to
the tree. The clerk told him I was recording bird calls :). Anyway - I had a
blast on 30, 20, 17 & 15 Meters - even worked a couple of friends who were
mobile on the way home from the HamVention - on SSB - Boy - were THEY
surprised!

The German authorities gave it the most scrutiny on the way home. The
Italians didn't even look. I have flown all over pre and post 9/11 with
enough gear (I sell marine comm. Gear so frequently was carrying Sat phones)
to equip a strike force - never been a problem.

Have a good trip.

73

Don
W6CZ