SB-102/HW-101 T202 Alignment

W7AMI w7ami at CABLEONE.NET
Sat Jun 10 23:09:34 EDT 2006

Jim,

   The SB-102 I have had a problem with the T202 alignment.   When it is
correct the level of the calibrator should be fairly constant across the
entire dial.   Mine dropped of considerably at the top end.   It has
been awhile since I worked on it so the details are fuzzy but here is
what I remember.

Remove T102 from the circuit board.
Carefully remove the case from the filter.
Draw a schematic of the filter.  I think there are some inductors and
three trimmer caps inside.
Solder the filter without the case back in the radio.
Here is where it gets fun.   You will have to experiment slightly
adjusting the trimmer caps to smooth out the band pass so that you get a
smooth filter response.   A sweep generator would be a big help but it
can be done with nothing but the 100 Kc calibrator.

Marking the caps before you start is a good idea.  You can get the
settings back close to the starting point again if things go bad.
Carefull, the B+ for V5 is on exposed leads in the filter.  You will be
working is thigh spaces with exposed high voltage.
This is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck.

Terry W7AMI

Hello.. Was wondering if anyone had any technical information regarding
the 8MHz Bandpass filter (T202) used in the 1st IF of the SB/HW series
of transceivers? What alignment information exists? I have one which
appears out of alignment. Any technical help would be appreciated..

Thanks. -jim