Pricing Help

Mike w5rkl at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jun 16 17:01:13 EDT 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:33:02 -0400, Wilson Lamb <infomet at MINDSPRING.COM>
wrote:

>I haven't posted here, so not sure if this is the right way.
>
>I have a chance to pick up several pieces of Heath stuff, in excellent
>condition.
>Would someone please give me an idea of decent prices for the following:
>
>HD-19         Phonepatch

Phone patches are not used much anymore. I wouldn't pay more than $10.

>AK-7            Speaker

Speakers are a dime a dozen. This is a mobile speaker and is nothing more
than a metal box with a speaker inside and a bracket to hang it from your
dash. I wouldn't pay more than $10.

>HM-11        Power meter

First, the HM-11 is not a power meter. It's an SWR meter. I wouldn't pay
more than $10.

>HM-102        SWR meter

The HM-102 is an SWR meter and a watt meter all in one. They are very nice,
quite accurate (+/- 10%) and have a nice look to them. I recently bought
one on eBay for $15 in very good condition. Therefore, no more than $30 at
the most.

>SB-230         Amplifier

The SB-230 has an output of over 1KW with 2 3-500Z tubes. I've seen them on
eBay bring a $700 plus price tag. One thing to consider with the SB-230.
Honestly, I wouldn't pay that much for an SB-230 when I can buy a brand new
amp for much less. The SB-230 is designed to run off either 120/240VAC. Do
you have 220VAC available in your shack? If not then to properly install a
dedicated 220VAC line in to shack requires an electrician. Honestly, I
would never install a 220VAC line in my shack. Consider the problems you
might run into with your home owners insurance IF something goes wrong and
causes an electrical fire. The other thing to consider is the cost of the
tubes. A pair of new 3-500Z's are going to cost you $200 plus. Also, how
hard has the SB-230 been pushed by any of the previous owners? There are
alot of stations that push the daylights out of these amps to squeeze the
last bit of RF out the back.

Heath put out some excellent gear. I have quite a few pieces in my shack
and use them daily. The problem is with the original builder and all the
owners along the way until you get it. I've spent many hours going through
Heathkit gear, reheating solder connections, replacing components that were
put in "backwards", installing components that were "never" install in the
first place and removing alot modifications that did absolutely nothing to
improve the overall operation of the item. I honestly think Heathkit gear,
when built correctly, properly maintained, and not beat to death, is
excellent gear. It's not Collins, that's true but it sure will do what it's
designed to do and do it well!!!

These are my opinions. Others, on the other hand, may think differently.
The bottom line on pricing is not what I would pay. It's what YOU would pay
for a piece of gear whether it's Heathkit or some other manufacture. So,
it's you who must decide what's an acceptable price for an individual item.
Keep in mind, the gear you are asking about is USED and used by who knows
whom. There is no amount of money that can change that regardless
of "Inflation"!!!

73's,

Mike
W5RKL