HW-16 troubles.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Jun 29 00:26:39 EDT 2006

My HW-16 has a LOT of hum, especially with the volume control all the
way down, and so far, I can't figure out where it is coming from.

I have taken it down the the shop at work and intend to follow the hum
around with a scope until I find it. I know it is not coming from any place
ahead of the audio amp stages. If I yank the 12AX7 product
detector/bfo tube, there is no change.

I also have terribly loud clicks in the headphones or speaker, but not on
the air, when keying the darned thing.

I've tried several different methods for minimizing those, but have not
yet succeeded in finding a proper cure.

I'm not even sure where it is coming from yet. I know at least one fellow
attempted to add a limiter to the receiver to take that out, but it didn't
work very well for me.

I wonder if anyone else has had either of these problems and fixed
them?

Ken W7EKB