DX-60 Power

Harry Vaught hlv at FROZENLADY.COM
Sat Mar 25 20:18:37 EST 2006

I picked up a DX-60A a month or so ago, and after many caps & resistors
and a couple of tubes, it appears to be working.

I'm confused about what sort of power output I should expect.  I've seen
posts which talk about 100 or 150 ma on voice peaks on the plate current
meter, but Bill, WC3K (SK) in the preface to his DX-60 audio mods says:

"In the AM mode and no audio input (resting carrier condition), a stock
DX-60 will show a plate current of about 50 mA and 5 to 8 watts RF
output. Power output on audio peaks will approach 50 watts but will show
only slight movement on the plate current meter."

This perfectly describes my DX-60A.  If I modulate beyond 70-80 ma
peaks, it's distorted in the monitor receiver.  At that point, the
"Peak" reading on my MFJ tuner is just hitting 50 watts.  I realize this
isn't true peak, but it's what I've got.

Does anyone know the truth?

Harry, KT4AE
Maryville, Tennessee