SS-9000 has reappeared

Bob And Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Mon Mar 27 11:18:10 EST 2006

Just as a footnote to the comment about the price on the SS-9000. Yes,
it was high but that was a product of the very low anticipated volume
and the fact that we (Heathkit) could not kit it due to the complexity.
Although I was not directly involved in the management/marketing end of
the project (being way too tied up in just trying to get it out the
door!), I do know the price was a major disappointment for everyone. Low
volume hurts you all along the line and then having to build it adds in
a big cost factor. Our competition was (mostly) the Japanese radios
which had huge volumes and a much lower price structure. Still I think
the SS-9000 was a nice radio that was conservatively designed, easy to
operate and with good technical specifications. I know I spent many,
many hours doing spur checks and working to resolve the spurs I did
find. A lot of work by really a fairly small staff of maybe 5 engineers,
a couple of technicians, the folks in QC and, of course, the production
and manual people.

73 de WA2CKY
Bob