Solid state 872 tube substitute?

FRED HOLNAGEL w7prv at TELEPORT.COM
Thu Mar 30 20:03:51 EST 2006

Someone here knows what I have. These were reperesented to me as substitutes for the 872(A) rectifier tubes. I have several unused in my ???? stock. They all have the same marking "ED9840"  Also there is another number that differs that may be a date code, run number  or?  That number is ED8188, 8109, 8116 etc. The bases are not  typical for the 872 tube but rather, have the same 4 pin as an 866. The overall height from top of plate cap to bottom of base (less pins) is 7". Any ideas?Thanks, Fred W7PRV