Heathkit HW-101 relay

Michael Waldrop w5rkl at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 7 15:30:34 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

  Thanks to everyone who responded to my relay request. I have a new relay
  installed, a Magnecraft 782XDX3C, 240V coil 4PDT. It works fine. These
  relays are available at Mouser Electronics for $7 a piece. No mount, you have
  to fabricate your own mounting for the HW and SB series transmitters and
  transceivers.

  Replacing the relay did not fix the problem of no resting plate current therefore
  no output. However, I did find, during closer visual inspection, the 300 volt supply
  line to V6, second transmit mixer stage, was not soldered properly, very loose in
  the driver grid circuit board. Although resolding the wire, that still did not fix
  the problem.

  After more exhaustive visual inspecting of the boards, wiring and meter readings,
  I changed the finals. I did this once before and still no resting plate current and
  no output. However this time, I have resting plate current. Yet when I advance
  the drive with the MIC/CW level control, after about 5 seconds, more or less,
  the rig sizzles and the power supply breaker trips. The original R701 had smoked
  since the driver grid board is burnt where the original R701 was. A replacement
  resistor was installed but bypass mica capacitor, C701, wasn't. It's discolored
  from the heat of the original R701. More than likely it needs replacing so that's the
  next replacement. Not knowing if the voltage rating is still good, I'd rather replace
  it to make sure. At least now I have resting plate current, something I didn't have
  before.

  Thanks again to everyone who replied to my relay request.

  73's,

  Mike
  W5RKL