AC Line Voltages, Then and Now

digital-conjurers at ADELPHIA.NET digital-conjurers at ADELPHIA.NET
Tue May 9 02:02:27 EDT 2006

I recently became a bit concerned that my TX-1 Apache's power transformer seemed to be running a bit hot: 47-49 degrees C.  Generally, I don't like to see anything but tubes get hotter than 50 C, so this is pretty close to the line.  The modulation transfomer runs a bit toasty at 45-47 C, but the plate transformer runs cooler at about 38C.

I notice also that the plate voltages are around 800VDC, instead of the specified 750.

As the older rigs were designed for 115 VAC, and we get about 123 VAC coming out of the wall here (SDG&E just loves to push as much voltage as they can through the lines), it's a fair chance the higher AC input might be responsible.  I was wondering if:

1. 47-49 C isn't too hot
2. Could a "step-down" (there are many designs) to 115 VAC cool things off?

...and, in the long run, is it worth it?

Thanks to the group in advance,

Lin/KJ6EF