TX-1 Temp Test Results (Was: AC Line Voltages, Then and Now)

digital-conjurers at ADELPHIA.NET digital-conjurers at ADELPHIA.NET
Wed May 10 23:42:10 EDT 2006

Thought the group might be interested...

Well, I first ran the TX-1 for an hour at 115VAC, transmitted a bit (AM), then checked the temp of the transformers:

Power Transformer: 37C
Modulation Transformer: 35C
Plate Transformer: 30C

Then I kicked it up to 123VAC, and tested it after another hour:

Power Transformer: 47C
Modulation Transformer: 43C
Plate Transformer: 38C

...and then came the surprise.  I ran it back down to 115 VAC, let it sit for another hour, then measured:

Power Transformer: 49C
Modulation Transformer: 46C
Plate Transformer: 40C

Whoa.

...so it seems that the running temp of this unit is more a function of time, rather than AC input voltage.  At the least,  the extra 8 volts AC input voltage doesn't seem to matter a great deal here.

With anything (like some 30's broadcast sets) designed for 110VAC running on 127VAC, yes, I can see that shortening tube life and heating it up a bit, especially with any radio that, by design, ran final audio tube plates at the ragged end of their ratings with a 110 VAC input (Atwater Kents come to mind.... )

But with this 1958 Ham rig, it doesn't seem to matter _too_ much.

Just an informal, non-scientific test.  :)  Thanks to all who responded, this is a great group.

Lin/KJ6EF