Proper method for using Wrinkle Paint.

Ed Swynar gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Mon May 22 07:37:30 EDT 2006

Hi Jim,

Here's how I personally do it --- may not be endorsed by others reading
this, but it works for me...

(1) Prime the bare metal, & be absolutely 100% sure the prime is THOROUGHLY
DRY before applying wrinkle finish;

(2) Do NOT apply wrinkle finish to any vertical surfaces (it has to be
applied so thick, it wants to run);

(3) If you're doing an inordinately LARGE panel, etc., out-of-doors, wait
for the weather to get hot --- and muggy (seriously!);

(4) If you're doing a small panel, go ahead & put 2 heavy coats outside, &
then put the thing inside your electric oven (preferably when the wide isn't
home!) set at about 150-F, with a pan/bowl of water inside at one corner of
the oven;

(5) "Bake" the panel until the wrinkle finish is nice & even, and,

(6) Bake for at least a half hour more, to thoroughly dry the piece.

If you want the finish wrinkled, but of a different colour, you're best bet
is to wait until the wrinkle paint is THOROUGHLY dry, then apply light
topcoats of the desired colour at a later date (I've only "re-coloured" in
this way but once, however).

Heat AND humidity are the KEYS to successful wrinkle finish. One thing for
sure, thanks to one Mr. Murphy: if you DON'T want a wrinkle in your finish,
you'll most certainly get one ...likewise, when you DO want a wrinkle, it'll
be hell getting one! (it's like that paint they sell for a premium that's
designed to go over cement: if you've ever spilled "regular" paint on a
cement floor, it's IMPOSSIBLE to remove it all, isn't it? Don't you wish you
could have remembered the name/brand of the paint you spilled by accident
BEFORE having gone out shopping for some of the "specialty stuff"...?! Hi
Hi).

Good luck, Jim --- you're sure to have fired the opening salvo in a L-O-N-G
thread on this topic yet again...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ