More for Bernie on SB102

Chuck wcmoore at VERIZON.NET
Wed Oct 4 12:10:10 EDT 2006

Speaking as one bitten by the crass act watch out for rigs that have been modified for use on 11 meters.

I had a SB-101 purchased at a hamfest and it was a bear to align. Made it but it was hard and the upper frequency inductors in the rf amp chain where at the extremes. (10, 15,20) Output power was around 70 watts at 28.3 MHz, 85 watts on 15, 90 watts on 20, 50 watts on 40 and 90 watts on 80.

I put the rig on the air and searched but found no cw at the low end of 10 meters. I called CQ a few times, with no response. Tuning around a little more I heard AM Voice which seemed odd. Listening closer I heard "Break 19, this is the Phantom, anyone have a bear report".

That had me scratching the head for a moment as I had never experienced intermod problems from CB on the SB series of rigs. In a few seconds it dawned on me that the nice shiney crystal on the HFO board was not just a replacement for a bad crystal but likely a different frequency. Checking the crystal verified that the 28.0 to 28.5 band crystal had been changed to allow operation on 11 meters.

Replaced the crystal, unbuggered the coilmods and realigned the rig. Problem solved.

Beware!

Chuck