Heath dumbie load

W Dean Milner heath at CAISTEAL.NET
Sat Oct 28 13:31:52 EDT 2006

At 2006-10-27 Friday 10:05 -0700, you wrote:
>I received a call from a lady who has an item I think is called a dumbie
>load.  She says it looks like a paint can, made by Heath, and is more than
>30 years old.  It has a liquid inside.  She wants to properly dispose of
>it.  My guess is that it is transformer oil and way back then transformer
>oil had PCBs, a substance we now know causes certain types of cancer.  Does
>anyone know about whether there would be PCBs in the oil?  Is Heath still
>in business?  Any help would be most appreciated.

PCB's stopped being used in transformer oil around 1970-71. Unfortunately,
if the load is that old there is no way of knowing if the oil is from
something even older. I'm sure if she called her local recycler or fire
department (who are usually accustomed to handling hazardous materials)
they would be able to advise her of a local solution. I know here the
hazmat team will sometimes even pick up such things rather than have them
improperly disposed of.

73 de
Dean Milner,  VE1CBF
http://www.ve1cbf.ca