6146 Replacement

Bill Coleman aa4lr at ARRL.NET
Sat Sep 30 14:20:27 EDT 2006

On Sep 29, 2006, at 9:40 PM, W5EUQ wrote:

> Okay guys.  Question.  Tell me again WHY to not use a 6146B in a
> DX-40?

The 6146B is a different tube. It isn't just a 6146A with a higher
plate dissipation. It has completely different inter-electrode
capacitances.

> I know the 6146B's are not as good as the 6146A's, for example.

Actually, in a correct design, the 6146B is more capable than the 6146A.

>   I also understand they are built somewhat different to the A
> model.... and may be the characteristics are different.....

That's the key.

> however, I have put two 6146B's in my DX40's(actually both DX40's
> came with B's in them)  and I get almost 50 watts output... So I
> put some 6146A's in both rigs and got the same power, same
> everything.......  so do the B's self destruct, not last as long,
> oscillate or what?    Neutralization changes so that it oscillates?

DX-40 is a class C amplifier, so it's not so critical, I suppose. For
that matter, you could put it a 2E26 tube, and it would work, too.

> So tell me one more time...but please tell me what is fact, not
> what is "wives tales"....   I promise to pay attention this time...

Here's the definitive article on this:
http://www.members.tripod.com/NRWILLIAMSON/t6146.txt

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901