DX100 Mate-The definitive answer!

Don Melcher don at HFRADIO.COM
Tue Apr 3 16:34:36 EDT 2007

Vy interesting. Thanks for that effort.

You'll find one someday. I happened to run across my DX100 at the local HRO
one day last year. After it had been sitting on the consignment shelf for a
few weeks, I made a low ball offer as it was the last thing I needed (other
then to complete my DX collection of a 20, 35, 40 & 60) since I have a
TX1/RX1 set, SX101A/HT32, 2 Drake C-lines and Collins S-line. It was a
natural to pair it up with one of the two NC-173s I have (the other 173 is
with my DX-20, which replicates my novice station of 1962 - I still have the
straight key and bug I used with it). The offer was accepted - It seems to
be in fairly good shape and works well - I just need to do some work on the
VFO as it is way off calibration. Now I just need to shore up that side of
the garage.

-----Original Message-----
From: Heathkit Owners and Collectors List [mailto:HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV]
On Behalf Of Rinkie & Ron Pollack
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:22 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: [HEATH-TEMPE] DX100 Mate-The definitive answer!

I've been following this thread with interest!  How do we know what people
used with the DX100 in the 50s?

Here's a glimpse into the past as it really was!  In the 50s, in the ARRL
Sweepstakes results reported in QST, along with the list of the winners from
each section (there were 73 then), was a table showing the rigs used.  (They
were "rigs" then, not "radios.")

Let's go back 50 years, to the 1957 Sweepstakes.  The results are
interesting.

In the phone contest, 19 of the 73 sections were won by stations using the
DX100, the most common of the winning transmitters!  (Close second was Home
Brew, with 17, showing how things have changed!)

What receivers were used with these '100s?

3 used HQ140X
2 each 75A4, NC183D, SX100, SX28
1 each SX42, NC98, NC300, Super Pro, S76, SX99, NC88, HQ129X

In the CW section (and SS was mostly CW at that time,) 8 DX100s were
winners.

Receviers used:

1 Each HQ140X, Super Pro, HQ129X, RME 4350, SX24, 75A4, HRO7, AR88

The most common transmitter in the cw?  Overwhelmingly Home Brew, with 33
winners building their own.  Viking I and II models produced 13 winners.
Note that there were none of these that won both CW and Phone (I believe
that you could enter one or the other, but not both, since they were the
same time, but not sure.)

In conclusion, Jim, you have a wide choice of receivers to mate with the
DX100 and duplicate the "big guns" of 1957.

Hope someone finds this as interesting as I did!

Ron K2RP  (Still DX100-less, but hope to rectify some time!)

12:48 PM