HELP WITH HEATHKIT SB-634 - cathode poisoning reversal

Alex [Temple-Heath List] temple.heath1 at MIWWW.COM
Thu Apr 12 08:43:34 EDT 2007

At 11:57 PM 4/10/2007, you wrote:
>I HAVE SUBJECT ITEM PURCHASED ON EBAY. IT WAS ADVERTIZED AS SEGMENT
>"F" NOT WORKING ON ALL SIX DISPLAY TUBES. I FOUND A 100K RESISTOR
>OPEN IN THAT PART OF THE CIRCUIT. I REPLACED THE RESISTOR AND ALL
>SEGMENTS ARE NOW WORKING EXCEPT ALL SIX NOW ONLY HAVE A SMALL
>PORTION THAT IS LIGHTING. THE ENDS OF EACH REMAIN DARK AND THE
>CENTER PART LIGHTS UP TO A LENGTH OF ABOUT 1/8". I HAVE REPALCED THE
>TRANSISTOR (Q101) WITH SEVERAL OTHER GOOD ONES AND NO JOY. MY
>QUESTION IS, CAN THIS HAPPEN TO SIX DISPLAY TUBES AT THE SAME TIME?
>SEEMS DOUBTFUL BUT DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE IT COULD BE. ANYONE OUT
>THERE ANY KIND OF EXPERT ON THESE DISPLAY TUBES?
>
>MURRAY

Hi Murray,

It seems to me that the display was used for a long time without the
F segment working, and most likely what happened is that those unused
cathodes of the gas discharge display where "poisoned" by material
sputtered off the nearby segments that continued to see normal
service. This process essentially builds up an insulating layer of
material over any unused cathode and is the reason why they now only
glow on the middle portion, which is further away from any
neighboring segment, so the area that still has some glow was
affected in a lesser way. During normal use the poisoning is kept in
check because every time a segment glows, it cleans itself a bit. But
if it becomes totally inactive, like in this case, the build-up
continues and gets worse over time. This same thing also happens to
unused digits in Nixie tubes, like in clocks where for example the
minutes' "tens" only uses digits 0-5, so 6-9 slowly get poisoned
because they are never used.

The good news is, if the poisoned segment or digit still has some
glow, that it is very likely to be a restorable candidate . I
recently did this in a SP352 of a ID-1590 where some segments where
starting to loose glow towards the ends. So there where small
portions without any glow at all, and numbers where no longer a
continuos -and nice looking- trace of light. I once also restored
about half the upper portion of the A segment of the "1" numeral in a
3-1/2 digit SP354 unit of a ID-1390.

Even though reversing cathode poisoning in Nixie tubes is much more
straight forward, or less risky I might also say, one has to be very
careful not overdoing it in Beckman displays, as the inside of the
glass front cover might be darkened, and so the digit would be doomed
permanently. Reversing poisoning involves driving the digit/segment
between 2-10 times the normal current (we're talking in micro-amps
here), so as to speed up a bit the cleaning effect. Still it might
take hours, or sometimes days to completely restore a cathode. As
said before, one has to go much slower with the 7-segment Panaplex
units. The SP352 is rated at 330uA per segment, and I had good
results with a current of 700uA (aprox a 2:1 ratio) which took about
4-5 hours to clear up each segment. But keep in mind that in my case
the segments only showed a small poisoned area, so your mileage may
vary. Also make sure that the voltage across the segment does not go
over 180V, which is the maximum allowable. In my setup it measured
about 140V pretty much at any current setting. In any case if you're
not in a hurry you can try a lower current, you just will have to
wait longer to see any effects. Still you have to make sure you can
safely increase the current to the point where at least a small
portion of the poisoned area starts to glow a bit, without the rest
being abnormally bright. Remember you need it to glow, even if only
slightly, to get the healing process going.

I use a self-build electrolytic cap restorer to power the process.
This way I can easily vary the current supplied to the cathode of the
display by switching voltage ranges and/or forming rate speeds,
because basically both are resistor divider networks connected in
series with the output of the cap restorer's HV power supply. My unit
goes from 100 to 600V in ten steps, and has four forming rate
positions: slow, normal, fast, and direct. BTW, the building article
of this restorer appeared in the Winter 1974 Electronic
Experimenter's Handbook. If anyone wants a copy of the article
contact me direct.

If you have access to a HV power supply, like the Heathkit IP-17, you
could hook up a current limiting resistor (300K~1M) between the
output and the display, and set the voltage for the desired current.
For example, if you set the power supply to 150V, and use a 390K
resistor, you'll get a current of about 385uA. Ohm's law (I=V/R)
should help you figure out other workable combinations.

You can read more about cathode poisoning tutorials here at this site
(pertains Nixie tubes), but still is very useful info:

http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/different/cathode%20poisoning/cathode-poisoning.htm

Pinout guides and specs of the Beckman Panaplex displays used in
Heathkit units are here:

http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/data/sp-352/sp-352.htm

Good luck with the project. These display units are becoming more and
more scarce every day, so its a very worthwhile cause to try and restore them.

-Alex