[Heathkit] Faceplate inck

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 17 11:48:22 EDT 2007

Sometimes Formula 409 can help.  However, quite often
the ink has chemically bonded to the paint and nothing
is going to remove it.

A possible, but very tedious to accomplish, solution
is to get the color of the panel matched at a good
paint store like Sherwin-Williams (I get all of the
paint that I use on boat anchors matched at my local
store and, so far, the matches have been "right on").
A quart of acryllic paint runs around $12 per quart.
Get it in a "satin" finish which generally is pretty
close to the original finish.

There are at least 3 different shades of green that
Heath used on the front panels of the SB-Line (and at
least 5 different colors on the cabinets).  If you are
lucky, both of your front panels will be of the same
shade of green.  If not, then you will have to get
each color matched.

Use a VERY small brush (you might have to take a cheap
brush and remove all but a very few bristles) and
carefully paint over just the area that has the ink
marks.  If you get too much paint on the panel it will
come off with a rag dipped in water.  When you are
satisfied with the repair then "dust" the panel with
Krystal Klear Krylon to hold the new paint in place.
This also should help hide any slight differences
between the color of the paint and the original
surface.

I know that there are certain colors in the Testors
brand of paints that are sold by hobby shops for model
airplanes, model cars, etc., that match certain boat
anchor colors (i.e. the dark gray panels on the
Collins S-Line).  I have never looked to see if they
have colors that match the various Heath SB-Line
panels.  If you have a well stocked hobby shop you
might look at the paints that they have and see if you
can find one that matches the panels.  These paints
come in like 1 ounce jars and generally cost well
under $2 for each jar.  This is much more expensive
per ounce than buying a quart of paint from
Sherwin-Williams.  But, if you only need a small
amount it is very cost effective.

Glen, K9STH

--- Dave <w8qwdave at peoplepc.com> wrote:

I have an SB - 301/ 401 series Heath rigs. My problem
is the previous owner of these rigs put small, but
certainly noticeable, ink pen marks on the faceplates
of both rigs.

Does anyone have any idea how I can remove these ink
marks?  I really want to avoid any form of abrasive
rubbing that might wear the paint, marr the faceplate,
or do something that might make matters worse than
what they are now. But any suggestions are welcome.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

http://mail.yahoo.com