DX-100 query

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Mon Apr 23 22:16:23 EDT 2007

The "normal" DX-100 has 2 red knobs, one for the grid
drive and one for the 250 pf variable antenna loading
capacitor.  Behind the grid drive is a knob that
switches between 4 crystals and the VFO.  Behind the
antenna loading variable is a switch that adds fixed

Those DX-100 units that have had the MK-3 kit added
which eliminates the 250 pf variable and the fixed
variables in parallel) generally have a 1 piece knob
on the antenna loading but retain the red knob on the
grid drive and the knob behind that for the crystal /
VFO switch.  Those transmitters thus modified were
known as DX-100A units (that is one of the reasons
that the next version was known as the DX-100B).

Those units which do not have any red knobs should be
DX-100B transmitters.  If this appears on a "DX-100"
unit then the MK-3 kit has been installed and the
crystal / VFO switch has either been eliminated or
just put in the VFO position and the knob modifed so
that it just turns the grid drive.  Unless you can see
the model number on the transmitter to make sure, the
front panels are virtually identical.

Any DX-100 or DX-100B units that have black knobs have
had the regular gray knobs removed and black knobs
substituted.  The knobs are not original.

A few people have installed the MK-3 kit and then
glued the red knob that used to control the 250 pf
variable to the knob that used to control the fixed
recently did this to my DX-100 (DX-100A) just to make
it "look" like it did originally.  I make all of the
knobs for the DX series equipment for sale and just
used a couple of knobs that I make to get my DX-100
back to its original "look".

Glen, K9STH

--- James Cundiff <dadofpetie at COMCAST.NET> wrote:

I am confused by the knobs on the DX-100's. I have
seen four variations of the knobs and wonder if they
were design changes. The manual I have downloaded (and
some web photos) show two red knobs, one for fine
Saturday) and some web photos, have only the red grid
drive. Some web photos show no red knobs. All of these
have gray knobs. Then there is one with all black
knobs. None of these appear to be DX-100B's.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

http://mail.yahoo.com