Heath potted transformers

Wilson Lamb infomet at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Apr 24 13:59:06 EDT 2007

I have an HP-13A that I would like to sell.
I've had it for years and never used it, but think it was OK when I got it.
It feels like about $10 to ship.
Does anyone want to make an offer?  I don't know the market.
Wilson
W4BOH
----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Jim-CJT001" <cjt001 at MOTOROLA.COM>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 9:55 AM
Subject: Heath potted transformers

I have a question for the list regarding the potted transformers that
Heath (and others) used in power supplies such as the HP-13(a) mobile
power supply.

Has anyone ever tried to remove the potting material ? It appears to be
an epoxy type material, but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if heat would
work, having seen old wood boats, and canoes that had epoxy applied to
the entire hull as a permanent fix to leaks. In this process of removal
for restoration, a heat gun is used in a concentrated area little by
little softening the epoxy, and removing the material with a putty
knife. This is a tedious, time consuming and laborious effort, but it
does work. So any other ideas on how to remove the material from
transformer ?

Regards,

Jim Taylor
WB8HMD