IO-4510 scope restoration - further update

Alex [Temple-Heath List] temple.heath1 at MIWWW.COM
Fri Dec 21 10:18:36 EST 2007

Yesterday I got a chance to do some more work on the scope, and I
noticed that it was not possible to get a clean display of any
waveform, basically the timebase was unable to sync. I traced the
problem to a faulty U405 High-Speed comparator in the time base
board. There where appropriate input signals to the comparator, but
never an output. So as a test I swapped it with U412 which is the
also same type IC, and now the waveform will sync perfectly, although
now the swapped-out faulty IC is causing problems in the blanking
circuit, but this obviously confirms it as bad. This comparator is a
uA760 according to the manual, but I found that at some point both
IC405 and IC412 where substituted by someone with LM360N's, an
updated version of the 760 (760 is good only up to 25nS, the 360 is
faster at 20nS). The pins on both these ICs are clean, and the are
National brand, while all the other ICs on the board have the Heath
p/n and/or the pins look rather aged.

Unfortunately at this time of the year all the electronics outlet
stores at my location are already closed for the holidays until the
second Monday of January, so I'll have to wait to get a replacement.
But since can't even be sure this part will be in stock, I might
place an order with Futurlec.com today and it should be arriving
around mid-January anyway. I was also considering substituting all
the TTL 74xx chips in the scope with modern 74LSxx types, so might
order those too.

Spoke to the seller the other day about the missing Ops/Cal manual,
he told me didn't recall the scope had two manuals, but "if" he's
pretty sure it should be stored away with the rest of his Heathkit
manuals (quite a few). But he's an older person presently with some
health problems, so I'm anticipating it will take him some time to
check and let me know if he found it.

Also wanted to thank everyone that has replied to my query on the
availability of this manual, so if I end up needing to buy it, I now
have several reliable sources.

Thanks.
-Alex