Using the SB-301 on CW

W6CUX w6cux at EARTHLINK.NET
Fri Feb 2 14:45:10 EST 2007

Hi Allen,
Moving the CW-BFO crystal frequency is just a matter of putting a
parallel trimmer capacitor across it. However, a problem comes about
because that same crystal (3396.4KHz) is used as the USB-BFO and should
not be changed.

A solution I've used is to install a second 3396.4KHz crystal in place
of the RTTY crystal. At the wafer switch MS4R, clip the jumper between 4
and 3 and install jumper between 1 and 4. Now when the switch is in the
CW position, the new 3396.4 crystal becomes the BFO.

The new crystal should be moved DOWN in frequency** to be within 600-700
Hz (I like 600 Hz) of the center of the CW filter of 3395.4KHz.  This
can be done with a 3-30pf trimmer capacitor, installed in parallel
across the RTTY crystal socket. You will need about 20 pf.  A good
source of these caps is your neighbor's junk-box or
http://www.surplussales.com/Variables/Ceramic/CerCap1.html

All this presupposes that you don't work RTTY. There is another solution
where a cap is diode-switched across the existing USB crystal in the CW
mode. I made this mod in the 70's on a SB-101 and a SB-303 but it's all
been lost to history. W0QNI still has the SB-101 so maybe he can
reverse- engineer it.

Now we need an easy way to change the side-town oscilator to 600 Hz.

73, Stu W6CUX

**[3395 .4 + 0.6 = 3396.0 KHz]