[Heathkit] Yoiks! A restorers worst nightmare - Naw, just a bump.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Tue Feb 6 13:37:46 EST 2007

On 6 Feb 2007 at 9:57, Dick KF4NS wrote:

> Why couldn't I have broken a part that was easily replaceable?

Because of a corollary to Murphy's Law: such as, in a handful of
objects, the most delicate one will be the one that is dropped.

> It is
> Heath part number 255-8 and is an aluminum spacer 4 inches long with
> 7/16 inch of 6-32 threads on each end.

Ha! That isn't even a minor problem: go to your local building supply
store and get 2 items: 1) one 6/32 screw at least 5 inches long, and 2)
an aluminum or brass tube at least 4" long into which the screw will
slide.

Cut the head off the screw, clean up the threads with a fine file, and you
will have what you need: a "threaded rod" with an aluminum or brass
sleeve. Adjust the length of both to fit.

No sweat.

Ken Gordon W7EKB