HW-12A Issues

ve3fwf ve3fwf at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Feb 14 20:04:12 EST 2007

Kent:

There is no service manual per se other than service bulletins.

Based on your E-mail, I assume that the receiver is working just fine.  So
try the following:

1. Check for B+ . You can do this from the top of chassis near the left
front where the RF choke resides. Careful here, 800V !  Make sure that the
power supply is not sagging under load. You may have bad electrolytics in
the power supply.
2. Also check the screen voltage. Best to use the voltage reference table in
the manual at this point and check all voltages around the finals and the
driver both in RX and TX mode.
3. If 1. and 2. are OK, swap the TX mixer tube with another similar tube in
the radio.
4. If still no joy, then I would use a scope and find out where the RF is
falling off. You should have about 50 volts PP on the grids of the finals.
There are some signal levels in the manual.

Take your time and use a "lab book" to write down what you do so that you
can restart your work without having to perform steps previously completed
and verified.

Good luck

73, Bernie, Ottawa, Canada