SB-401 Resistor R17 correct wattage?

Michael Waldrop w5rkl at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 1 10:46:41 EST 2007

Hello Bob,

  Thanks for the R17 info. I've replaced the resistor with a 1/2 watt 680 ohm
  resistor. I also found the 1 uh driver plate RFC was opened. Lucky, I had
  a spare from an old Apache TX-1 parts chassis. Replaced it and now I
  have plate current again hi hi.. With plate current I can TUNE the final
  but the output is very low, less than 10 watts. The driver tunes nicely
  and very stable in a seperate receiver. I doubt it is anything but possibly
  the finals.

  The next problem is getting the power output up to 100 watts. The CW GAIN
  control increases the plate current but only about 50 mils. There's no idle
  plate current in sideband and the output in TUNE and CW is less than 10 watts.
  The driver has plenty of drive. At this stage, I'm do not believe it's the driver as
  all mixer and driver coils have been adjusted to maximum. Pulling the driver tube
  to adjust the final idle current has no affect, it's still zero. I've replaced all the
  electrolytics, including the HV and LV supply caps. I'm using my own designed
  HV and LV supply replacement printed circuit boards. The front panel meter shows
  800 volts, right on the money which, prior to replacing the caps, it showed 850VDC.
  I believe the problem with low output is the neutralization capacitor's setting. As for
  no idle current, that could be the final tubes so I'll swap my SB-400 6146A's to
  see if that improves the output. Did the SB-401 originally come with 6146/6146A's
  or were they 6146B's? I believe they were 6146/6146A's.

  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Happy New Year to everyone and thank
  you for all your help.

  73's
  Mike
  W5RKL

W5EUQ <w5euq at verizon.net> wrote:
  Michael,
I have an original manual on it. Pictures show R17 as being
1/2 watt. Calculations also show that 1/2 watt would work for 680
ohms. There is 250 Volts on the input of R17. It drops the voltage to
the screens to around 150 to 200 Volts. Screen current runs from 7 to
11 ma per tube. Therefore, for two tubes, max current will be 22 ma.
Using ohms law, P=I2 times R take .022 squared times 680, which
equals, 0.32912 watts. Therefore a half watt resistor will work fine
here.
What do you think? Good luck. HNY, Bob W5EUQ Tampa

http://mail.yahoo.com