Apache TX-1 question

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Jan 4 16:05:19 EST 2007

On 4 Jan 2007 at 10:41, Robert & Linda McGraw (K4TAX) wrote:

> Conclusion, with one tube in the left socket, plate current 125 ma,  3
> ma of grid current and 75 watts output.  Move the tube to the right
> socket and na da, nothing, no grid current, no plate current no
> output.

It sounds to me as though you have either 1) a bad tube socket, or 2)
bad solder joints at the tube socked, or 3) a bad or broken wire at the
tube socket.

The two tubes are in parallel: therefore ALL connections at one tube
socket are simply duplicated at the other one.

If one tube works, and the other doesn't, then the problem is bad wiring
or a bad socket.

Tube sockets can have loose "clamps" in them. I.e., the socket holes
can spread so that they don't grip the pins. I have also seen at least
one tube socket in which the "grips" in the socket were broken so
although from outside it LOOKED like they were all in one piece, in
point of fact there was an open circuit between where the wires were
soldered to the bottom connection of the socket and the tube pin.

Ken Gordon W7EKB