[Yaesu] cabinet painting

Lee Noonan vk2lee at RESET.NET.AU
Sun Jan 7 22:27:51 EST 2007

Hi again,

You would maybe be better off painting with Tremclad,
then rubbing it down and painting again...
or just Tremclading it once.....
I have usually just painted new aluminium boxes with spray can flat or semi
flat black or
 even wrinkle finish black paint with no problems..
I never used a gray primer...

Lee     VK2LEE

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glen Zook" <gzook at yahoo.com>
To: "Michael - VE3MKX" <mkx at sympatico.ca>; "Heath . tempe"
<heath at listserv.tempe.gov>; "Yaesu" <yaesu at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] cabinet painting

You need a primer that is made for aluminum.
"Regular" gray primer won't work!  It works fine on
steel but not really on aluminum.

Glen, K9STH

--- Michael - VE3MKX <mkx at sympatico.ca> wrote:

Hi,   Im starting to get frustrated painting an
aluminum radio cabinet.

Here's the problem.   I sanded the old paint surface
down...  I primed it, light grey primer....  Then I
paint it with Tremclad semi-gloss paint.  _The primer
went on great, a perfect paint job._ Every time I try
painting on the final colour, it goes fish-eyed
(bubbles on the surface of the metal)  I later sanded
the surface, prime then paint..prime goes on
perfect...same thing.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com