Fan cfm

Jan Ditzian ditzian at ALLTEL.NET
Fri Jan 12 12:47:17 EST 2007

OK, while I am plotting modifications to the SB-201, I am also thinking
about the fan.  I have already disconnected the noise generator that is
built into the bottom of the chassis, and I am using an external muffin
fan (junk box, 117VAC, circa 25 years old) on top of the rig to cool the
tubes.  The amp is nearly dead silent.  However, in the spirit of not
laving things well enough alone, I am considering installing a fan into
the case.

I measured, and there is barely 25 mm clearance above the Chinese 572B
and the top cover.  This means that a 25 mm depth fan might touch the
glass envelopes, which is probably not a good plan.  I do not know the
required cfm for these tubes, so perhaps someone can guide me here.
There are smaller fans (e.g., 40x40x20 mm) that run on 12VDC and would
provide 8 cfm.  My original plan was to use a big 40x40x25 117 VAC fan
and get 81 cfm.

If someone has gone through this exercise and concluded that you really
cannot do it safely inside on top, please let me know.  I do not think
that the pusher approach works as well, and I would be willing to
compromise and put a permanent outboard 117VAC fan on top of the the top
cover.  I figure that it can be screwed through the holes with really
skinny screws.

I expect to power the fan from 117 VAC in the chassis.  I am running on
220 VAC (249 actually), so I could also use a 220 VAC fan and bypass all
internal power.

The top internal plate was removed long ago and far away.

73,
Jan, KX2A