HW 101 good late vintage clean and works great...except...

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Jan 24 14:35:13 EST 2007

On 23 Jan 2007 at 22:17, W5EUQ wrote:

> Have one that works great.  However, it only gets abut 50Watts
> out...even though I have changed tubes

1) Make sure your final amp tubes are 6146s or 6146As, not 6146Bs, or
later versions.

2) Make certain the alignment procedure you followed is exactly the
same as Heathkit's, including the heterodyne oscillator output peaking.

3) Do it again.

4) Make certain the rig is neutralized properly.

5) Do it again.

6) Make certain that the idle current Heathkit specified is correct.

If you have done all these, then the power output should be 110 watts
on 80, 100 watts on 40, 20, 15, and at least 80 watts, possibly a bit
more, on 10.

In my experience, the symptoms you describe were ALWAYS fixed by
following the above procedure, as long as the voltages from the power
supply are correct.

In my latest HW-101, the idle current was actually quite a bit higher
than Heathkit specified because the metering resistors in the cathode of
the final amp stage were clobbered. All OK now.

Ken Gordon W7EKB