HW 101 good late vintage clean and works great...except.......

W5EUQ w5euq at VERIZON.NET
Wed Jan 24 20:02:01 EST 2007

For the record and archives:
Suggestions from several......    William Strong, usncb140 at en-tel.net;
Ed, ma.locksmith at juno.com; Fred, wittfa19 at earthlink.net; Ken,
kgordon2006 at verizon.net; and Chuck, wcmoore at verizon.net.  I may have
missed one.... sorry.

All had good suggestions:  THANK YOU ALL for your help.

 I'm wrapping it all up in this answer:

I have more than one supply and it's the same on two of them.  Checked
bias voltages and for AC ripple on DC... no problem here.
800 volts on transmit: is 790 VDC on receive and 739VDC on transmit with
32 Watts out.
Low voltage is 240VDC on receive and 222VDC on transmit with 32 watts out.
Bias is -41VDC on receive and same on transmit... Plate current is 30
Ma.  Increased to 40 Ma and watts out went to 37 watts out.
Changed neutralizing cap  a little at a time to see if it effected
output and saw  no real effect.
Drive to final tubes is 51 volts P-P.
Using 6146A's in final and good 6CL6 and good 6CB6.
Put spectrum analyzer on it and second harmonic is down by over 60 dB.
Other's very low and no spurs or parasitics.  Looks clean.

SO... I'm back to what Ken Gordon suggested.... go back through
alignment again, and again, just to make sure.

History:  I bought this radio because it looked clean and was a later
model HW101.  *_Someone had gotten the band switch out of sync_*.  I
mean some wafers were 180 degrees out from where they were supposed to
be.  When I corrected this, it started receiving pretty good.  However,
someone had tweeked the coils way out because of switch out of sync.  I
went through alignment and tweeked it up on ALL bands.  Then it worked
even better on receive.  (ALL BANDS)

I went through tubes and replaced some after I tweeked it up good, then
went back through it again and tweeked it good.  On transmit, I checked
the peaks of coils and they looked good.  Then went back to receive and
checked peaks and they were fine.   (ALL BANDS)
I went through the "Harmonic Crystal" settings "per book" and it set up
pretty good.  (ALL BANDS)
I did NOT neutralize it... my bad.
Back to the power.  I am going to go slowly through the COMPLETE
ALIGNMENT PER THE BOOK.  Including neutralizing and we will see what
happens.  I'll report my results.

Bob  W5EUQ  Tampa