[Heathkit] HW 100 CXR NULL

Bob McGraw - K4TAX RMcGraw at BLOMAND.NET
Thu Jul 12 19:36:22 EDT 2007

The difference in the "sound" between LSB and USB is typically from two
sources: (a) the BFO oscillator frequency is not positioned equally when
switching between LSB and USB on the slope of the SSB filter.  (b) the
response or ripple across the filter is not the same from the low side to
the high side as compared to the high side to the low side in viewing the
shape of the bandpass.

Typically there is some ripple across the top or bandpass section as
measured from the center freq to the 3 dB points on the slope of the filter.
Inexpensive or poorly designed and sometimes defective filters are typically
worse in this regard.  Very good filters have a uniform shape and a very
smooth top as well as steep skirts and little to no ripple across the base
band.

The carrier null typically is adjusted for the best value when switching
between LSB and USB.  A compromise between the two is usually a must.

As to the pot, make sure the little metal case is grounded, clean the pot,
exercise is a few times.  As to what is best to clean it with, your "witches
brew" is about as good as any.  Everybody has their favorite. Mine is "what
works best for me on that specific pot".

That 0.5V P-P value may be more noise and very little carrier.  A selective
voltmeter would be a nice item to have just to make sure while making this
adjustment.

73
Bob, K4TAX
Creating the glow in the sky from LOTSARF