DX 60 series

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 12 21:22:36 EDT 2007

According to Penson's book the early DX-60B units had
the same meter as the DX-60A.  Also, he reports that
there are definitely differences in the meters used on
some A and B units.

The knobs on the B units were generally a darker green
than on the A units.  I have never seen a truly black
knob on the B units although the dark green is pretty
close to black.  The HG-10B VFO uses the same very
dark green knob on the main tuning knob as the DX-60B.

There are definite physical differences in the VF-1
VFOs as well.  The electrical circuitry is the same
but the early front panels are considerably different
from the later (and much more common) versions.  The
same with the AK-5 speaker.  The very early versions
(about 100 made I have "heard") have a groove on the
sides and top that is 3/4 inch back from the front.
The later versions (much more common) do not have this
groove.

Penson's book, the 2nd edition which has a number of
corrections, is definitely a worthy addition to the
library of anyone who is interested in Heath amateur
radio equipment.  I got mine through Amazon.com.

I have corresponded with him and he has considered
bringing out a 3rd edition with additional corrections
and other information that he has acquired since the
2nd edition.  However, this is not a high priority
item.  I have offered to provide photos of a couple of
the "rarer" versions of Heath equipment that I own.

Glen, K9STH

--- John King <k5pgw at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

I have three transmitters with DX 60 B on the front
panel. The cabinets are wrinkle grey/green and the
front panels are wrinkled finsh. Two have front
mounted meters that have white meter faces and half
clear and half black meter covers on the meters. They
all three have black C1 and C2 tuning knobs. The ODD
DX 60 B that deviates from the appearance of the other
two has a clear meter cover with yellowed face
identical to the DX 60A transmitters. So my question
is whether some of the DX 60 B transmitters had the
same identical meter to the DX 60A. The nomenclature
says DX 60 B but the meter is same as DX 60A. Kinda
confusing???

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com