SB-200 issues.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Sun Jun 3 23:37:14 EDT 2007

Today, I brought home an SB-200 amp that a blind friend of mine recently sold
me. She had been using it for quite some time, but needed something
that didn't require sight to tune.

I have discovered several issues with it:

1) One of the tubes was not lighting. This appeared to have been going
on for quite some time. I replaced the tube socket and in the process
discovered several no-solder joints in the filament circuitry.

2) The grid-to-ground connection of that non-working tube was ALSO
not connected.

3) After replacing the socket and redoing all the no-solder joints I could
find, it appears that the amp is working. Power output on 80 meters is
around 750 watts.

HOWEVER, one tube, apparently the tube that had been doing all the
work, gets a very red plate even if the tuning time is kept to a minimum,
AND the filament is only about 1/2 as bright as the other tube.
Furthermore, there is the number "40" written on that tube in black ink.
Sounds to me as though that particular tube is pretty flat. Your
thoughts?

4) The final "loading" knob is over against the fully-closed stop, even
with an SWR of 1:1. Sounds to me as though the 500 pfd cap that is
supposed to be paralleled with the loading cap on 80 meters isn't being
connected. What do you think about this?

5) There is no grid current showing on the meter with the meter switch
in the grid position.  I have not investigate this any further. However, it
appears to me that the switch needs a good shot of DeCoxit at the very
least.

6) It appears that the SWR input is quite high, as the loading control on
the driver, an SB-102, has to be set fully to the right-hand stop for
maximum drive. I know how to fix this...I think...

I would be pleased to hear comments from you all about these issues,
to confirm my own ideas on the subject, and/or to hear suggestions
from you about how to fix these.

At this point, it looks like I need a pair of matched finals, the input
circuitry needs to be worked on, and I am going to have to CAREFULLY
examine the final plate bandswitch to determine why the added
capacitor is NOT being switched in. I am also going to have to take a
careful look at the meter switch.

Are there common problems I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Ken W7EKB