Sb-220 power output at about half..

John john at HUGHES.NET
Tue Jun 5 17:27:28 EDT 2007

Wilson. It must have been in the grounding of one of the grids or some
resistance in the output tank. I really cleaned and tightened all my
connections from the tubes on out. And yes I am still on the original
3-400z's. Realizing original meaning what I started with and not what the
amp started with(-:. I actually believe it must have been on the bottom of
one of the tube sockets where I had the chokes and mica capacitors to ground
the grids as original schematics. Now I have them all grounded with #10
solid copper wire.
John Godfrey KE5NZY

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson Lamb [mailto:infomet at mindspring.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 3:52 PM
To: john at hughes.net
Subject: Re: Sb-220 power output at about half..

What was the final diagnosis?  Bad ground?  As I understand, you are still
on the original tubes?
Wilson

I replaced the parasitic chokes, tightened all the paths of the output tank.
Removed the chokes and capacitors from grid and made a solid short ground
from all the pins other than the heaters of course. Cleaned the band switch
and powered the amp back up. I am now getting 975 watts out with 100 watt
drive on 10 meters. I can live with this especially with the 3-400z tubes.
Thanks for all you guys help, I was just lost for ideas and you have all
been a great help. If I can ever help I will do my best to return the favor.

John Godfrey--- KE5NZY

Bob
We haven't heard back from John lately as to if he's solved his problem or
not, but if you reread his original posting, his 3-400's tested fine in
another amp. I can categorically state that 3-400's (in good condition of
course) will put out at least 1200 watts on 80,40,20 meters in an SB-220
with 100 watts drive. My amp would do 1kw out on 15 and about 900 watts on
10 meters with the 3-400s. The considered opinion of those who responded to
this post was that it appears that John has a tube that isn't conducting for
one reason or another. Paul K5RT

On Behalf Of R Johnson