Need ID-4801 eprom programmer help

Jim Pruitt wa7duy at CHARTER.NET
Sat Jun 16 19:52:51 EDT 2007

I wonder if someone on the list could help me get a ID4801 eprom
programmer working?

This programmer was an estate sale purchase from a hamfest.  The unit was
partially built in that all parts were on the board but the IC sockets
were only tacked on one or two pins.  Other conections were not good so I
soldered all of the IC socket pins and resoldered all other connections.
This kit had been sitting for years so the IC pins were more of a brown
than gold.  I do have 4.8v on VCC on all IC's.  I have the 8K memory
upgrade installed.  I do not have any personality modules made yet and
have not stuck a blank eprom (or a programmed one) in the target socket as
I want to get it working before trying that.

The unit powers up but reports a memory problem and tells me the highest
memory address available is 0000 but then goes into direct keyboard mode
(as it should) and lets me enter data as it steps up in memory location.
If I go back to any location that I just entered it is blank (FF) and data
there is E (Error).  I tried only installing the base 6116 but get the
same results.

Would anyone on list have one of these units that might be able to help me
troubleshoot why I can not access any memory?

Also I am looking for a bit of information for making the personality
modules.  I do have the book and have that information but am trying to
figure out how to make modules for cmos versions of the chips (the only
one the book lists is for a 27C16).  How are the cmos chips different (as
far as programming modules go) than the regular nmos version?  I gather
that the 27128A nad 27C128 are the same but the 27C128 is not the same as
the regular 27128.  Has anyone tried these or have any info that might be
helpful?  I have been to Bill Wilkisons web page at
http://ww_heco.home.mindspring.com/kbj1_id4801.html that tells me how to
make a 27C256 module.

Also would anyone know of a source for the DOS program ID4801p.exe that
was shipped with these units?  This one was missing that program floppy.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt