HW-101 cabinet paint

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 18 10:38:20 EDT 2007

Here is my "canned" response to paint!

I get all of the paint that I use on "boat anchor"
cabinets computer matched at my local Sherwin-Williams
store.  I have found that acryllic satin finish paint
comes out pretty darn close to the original finish.
The paint runs around $11 a quart.

So far every cabinet that they have matched has been
"right on", including the Collins St. James gray.

You will need either a paint gun, or, if your local
store happens to be one that has the ability to "load"
spray cans then you can go that way.  Of course having
spray cans loaded is going to add to the price of the
paint.

I normally drop off a cabinet, cabinet lid, etc., of
what I want to be matched.  At least at my local
store, which tends to be very busy, I get my paint
either late in the afternoon or the next morning.  If
your store isn't that busy, they might be able to do
it for you while you wait.

Also, some automotive parts stores also have paint
matching.  However, what they use is often lacquer or
enamel, both of which do not dry to as "hard" a finish
as acryllic.

By the way, the acryllic paint that I buy does clean
up with water!  You don't have to worry about paint
thinner, lacquer thinner, etc.

Now, for the texture:  I use Rusteoleum American
Accents Stone Creations to give me a crackle.  Also,
Rustoleum has two other paints that might be used.
They are "Hammered" and "Texture".  These do NOT give
a real deep type of finish.  However, they do work as
an undercoat in many application.

The formula for the light green like was used on the
SB-104 is as follows:

For 1 quart Sherwin-Williams ProClassic Extra White
satin base:

BAC Colorant  OZ  32  64  128

B1- Black     -    7   1    1
L1- Blue      -    6   1    -
N1- Raw Umber -   62   -    -
Y3- Deep Gold -    -   1    1

Glen, K9STH

--- Jerry Kitterman <jerry.kitterman at ATT.NET> wrote:

I was just wondering what anyone is using for paint as
far as color goes for the hw-101? Other than one of
the perfect matching paints that is on the market, I
want to know what is in use as far as brand of paint,
color, etc? This is an old rig and I'm not going to
put much into it but I would like it to be halfway
presentable, etc. TIA for any and all help and 73.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.