VF1 VFO stability improvement.

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Jun 21 17:25:50 EDT 2007

On 21 Jun 2007 at 13:19, Glen Zook wrote:

> However, replacing the 0A2 in the VF-1 with an 0B2
> which drops the screen voltage on the oscillator tube
> to 108 volts helps stabilize the VF-1 considerably.

Very true.

> Then running a regulated 150 VDC as the high voltage
> helps even more with the stability.

I have not yet found this to be necessary, but will probably try it in
future.

> Finally, replacing the 6AU6 with a 6AH6 (direct
> replacement) really stabilizes the VF-1.

I can attest to the validity Glenn's suggestions:although my present
VF-1, which I use with my HW-16, was very stable before I made
two of the "mods" suggested by Glenn, after I did them, one of the
fellows I normally work with handling traffic on CW nets
commented to me that my rig sounded like a new rice-box for
stability.

I was not sure that I liked that, but I did take it as a compliment as I
am sure that is what he meant.

In any case, my VF-1s are very stable, and warm-up drift is
minimal.

Ken Gordon W7EKB