Rotor problem

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 4 20:43:53 EDT 2007

The rotor is used to turn the yagis on my main tower
which are connected to boat anchors.  Therefore, there
is a connection!

My Yaesu G-1000SDX rotor just acquired the following
problem:

When the rotor is turned (either direction) the
indicator in the control box starts turning fast.
When the rotation switch is released the indicator
drops back to where the antenna is pointed.  The
"resting" point is accurate.  However, I cannot just
rotate the yagis to a specific direction without
starting and stopping the rotor several times.

It started doing this a couple of hours ago.  I
checked the 6-pin connector on the back of the control
box (this is a problem area with the Yaesu rotors)
including removing the cover on the plug that goes to
the rotor cable and making sure there were no problems
with the connections.  Also, I "bent" the pins on the
6-pin "Jones" connector so that they make a firm
connection ("olde tyme" trick to "fix" connector
problems on Motorola two-way equipment).  I checked
the rotor cable from the shack to the tower (I haven't
climbed the tower as yet).  Thought that there may be
someting in the starting capacitor but the Yaesu
doesn't use a starting capacitor (like the CDE rotors
use).

The rotor was functioning properly earlier today but
when I started turning the antenna array towards the
BS7H station it suddenly started malfunctioning.  I am
hoping that someone else has run into this problem and
has some "tips".  I acquired rheumatoid arthritis
several years ago and I am able to climb only on "good
days".  Therefore, I am "keeping my fingers crossed"
that the problem is "on the ground"!

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

http://mail.yahoo.com