Re-Forming Electrolytics

Murray Leshner murraysgarage at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu May 31 11:38:47 EDT 2007

I've always taken a paranoid, or conservative approach to current limiting
during reforming, depending on your point of view.

There are specs for leakage current for new caps, but they vary with many
factors, as do the number of types of electrolytics.

I wouldn't expect old caps to perform as well as new, of course, but the new
cap leakage current specs give one a reference point for perhaps choosing a
current limiting resistor for the re-forming process...I feel better doing
this instead of just guessing or not measuring.

I recall specs like 0.08*C*V - 0.1*C*V, in mADC.

So, by calculating how much this is for your given cap rating, and selecting
a resistor that would limit 'short circuit current' to that amount, you know
that you can't ever exceed a leakage current a happy cap can live with. This
may be overly conservative...your mileage may vary etc.

For example, 125 uF @ 450 VDC for 0.08CV, 0.1CV and 0.2CV follow.

C, F	VDC	I, DC, A	Rlim	Pdiss
0.000125	450	0.0045	100000	2.025
0.000125	450	0.005625	80000	2.53125
0.000125	450	0.01125	40000	5.0625

The Power Dissipation above is calculated, not the rating of the resistor.
You should consider doubling that for your resistor rating. The resistor is
placed in series with either the + or - lead, NOT in parallel with the
capacitor.

You migh twant to look at a capacitor spec sheet ,say, on Digi-Key.com or
elsewhere and make sure I'm not off by a factor of 1000 for mA vs A....

Murray

Catch suspicious messages before you open them—with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_protection_0507