tube shields

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Nov 13 16:47:43 EST 2007

Eddy -

Collins conducted a study of the IERC shields a long time ago, titled
Collins Service Bulletin #303A.  I think I have a copy here somewhere,
but a lot of things haven't surfaced yet from the move.  There was a
synopsis published in the Collins Signal, Technical Data Sheer G-0297.
Collins conclusion was that use of these shields could increase tube
life by as much as 55%.  The bright metal shields had the opposite
effect, which makes the recent tendency to polish the original dull
finish to a mirror shine as part of a "restoration" even dumber than it
looks!  The shiny surface merely reflects the heat back to the dark
colored plate of the tube,  _increasing_  the internal temperature even
further.  Polishing the outside greatly reduces the ability of the
surface to radiate whatever heat does escape from the tube.....
Polishing the surface of chassis shields has the same effect, reflecting
any heat that did manage to escape back to tubes, transformers and other
dark objects.

There is more to the IERC shields though than just the black anodized
surface.  They originally had an insert of beryllium spring fingers
inside which made physical contact with the envelope of the tube and
conducted heat directly to the shield where it could be reradiated by
the black external surface.  Unfortunately these inserts could be
removed easily, and sometimes were, to allow the shield to fit over a
"fatter" tube than it was designed for, greatly reducing its effectiveness.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 4-B & C-Line Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>