SB-102 Output Inquiry

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 10 18:15:15 EDT 2007

What you are hearing is the residual carrier.  The
carrier is not completely removed from the signal, it
is just reduced by "so many" dB.  When received on a
nearby receiver the carrier is still relatively
strong.

For example, if the carrier is reduced by 60 dB (a
very good transmitter) and the peak signal received on
the nearby receiver is "60 dB over S-9" then the
carrier is still going to be an S-9 in signal
strength.

As one gets farther and farther from the station (and
with band noise, QRM, etc.), the reduced carrier is
generally not heard, or heard VERY weakly, by other
stations.

Glen, K9STH

--- Martin Minnicino <mminnicino at PHENV.COM> wrote:

The sound that I heard in the headphones seemed
alright with the exception that there was a definite
"beat" on top of my voice that varied according to the
pitch of my voice and/or deviation in tuning. To check
if this phenomena was common, I did the same
experiment with my Kenwood rig and noticed the same
effect.  I this normal?  And did I just notice it
because of the close proximity of the receiver to the
transmitter?  No one has ever mentioned it to me on a
signal report...

Also, on a side note, I noticed what appears to be a
slight heterodyne-like sound accompanying the SB-102
SSB signal, almost like I am transmitting on AM (?)
Is this a null carrier problem?

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com

that gives answers, not web links.