HW-101 for PSK31?

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 3 10:35:13 EDT 2007

No way that the HW-101 can put out 180 watts!  A pair
of 6146 tubes are generally going to put out around
100 watts on 80 dropping to around 80 to 90 watts on
10 when new.  With some age, less power output.

A maximum of 180 watts input, maybe, but even that
exceeds the specifications of the 6146 and 6146A which
are rated at 85 watts each for SSB.  They are rated at
90 watts for CW.  But, for AM (continuous mode) the
rating drops to 67.5 watts.  Again, this is INPUT, not
output.

The 6146B/8298A or 6146W with code dates of 1965 or
later, which is actually a different tube from the
6146 or 6146A/8298, is rated at 120 watts input on CW
and SSB and 90 watts input on AM.  However, the HW-101
is generally not very happy with the 6146B.

Also, the HP-23 series of power supplies are running
"full out" at 180 watts input on SSB.

As for getting the power down, turning down the
microphone gain will accomplish this.

Glen, K9STH

--- David Griffin <davidgriffin at HVC.RR.COM> wrote:

I haven't played with an HW 101 since I gave mine away
some years ago to a new ham.  If I remember correctly,
 it maxed at 180 watts out, but more importantly,  can
it get DOWN to 15 to 20 watts for PSK31?  This mode is
most often used with power below 20 watts.  I usually
run 10 to 15.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com