Over-Aggressive Mohawk RX-1 ANL Circuit

Lin Robertson digital-conjurers at ROADRUNNER.COM
Wed Apr 30 16:54:24 EDT 2008

There are good ANL circuits, and there are others...and I wonder what I
have here:

My RX-1 ANL seems to always have had a really deep clip to it, rendering it
almost useless due to the distortion it produces.

1. Is it a design problem? (Could trying to jam the AVC, a diode detector
and the ANL all in one tube (the 6BJ7) have something to do with it?)

2. Could it be the 1.0 and/or 1.5 meg caps/.01uf in the cathode leg of the
6BJ7 have drifted or gone south?  (Likely.)

(Oh, and the 6BJ7 tests fine on a Hickock 539B.)

Just wondering if any other RX-1 owners ever ran up against this.

73 DE Lin/KJ6EF

(P.S. The best ANL I have ever seen is on my SX-28; fully adjustable from
no clipping at all to "total mash", you could set the thing just right for
any condition.  Wonder why more mfg's didn't do that, instead of just
"engage/disengage" switches.)