Another Virus

Ed Mosher wa8zvo at JUNO.COM
Mon Aug 4 19:25:23 EDT 2008

Fellow Greenies,

Not exactly a Heathkit subject, but one that can affect ALL list members!

I just found that I had been infected with a virus/worm known as
"PE_Magistr.A".  This is a very destructive virus that erases CMOS,
EEPROMS and hard drives exactly one month after it arrives on your
system.  My McAfee program didn't find it; but instead kept telling me I
had the "DUNpws.av" virus.  If I tried to clean that off instead of
deleting the file "HKSDLL.DLL", it said it couldn't access the file.  So
then trying to delete it gave the same error.  Finally it said it would
Quarantine it; but that directory of McAfee didn't have any files in it
when I checked.  Deleting the above file in McAfee ALWAYS gave the
message "successfully deleted".  But it then reappeared each time I
restarted the computer.

If you suspect you have it, PLEASE go to
http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/  and have Trend Micro,
makers of PC-illian do a FREE web-based scan of your system.  Be sure to
include ALL hard drives (C, D, E, etc.).

This is NOT a joke or a hoax!

I hope none of you got it from me, if you find you do have it.  But at
least here's a FREE way to check!  Please use it!

                                     Ed Mosher, WA8ZVO at Juno.com
                                Formerly  "One Of The HAMS At HEATH"

                        The most important things in our lives are NOT
things!
                            **++  BEWARE of computers named "HAL"  ++**